Professional Learning Communities
Establish school-based communities of learners
Now offered virtually!
Effective professional learning communities engage in a cycle of continuous improvement, promote collective responsibility for student learning, and support alignment of individual, team, school, and school system goals.
Learning Forward helps districts develop cultures of learning and implement PLCs with fidelity. We guide educators to employ a continuous improvement process where change, instructional improvement, and increased student learning are the goals, and learning is the intention of collaboration.
Teacher collaboration is more important than ever as teachers may be physically isolated from one another and need to design and implement, in real time, new models for learning during and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As schools face new and changing conditions, educators are responsible for ensuring that student learning continues as they themselves adapt to online, remote or hybrid learning.
Learning Forward helps systems establish teacher-led learning teams in all schools that engage in a five-step cycle of learning that includes:
- Analyzing data to identify student learning needs.
- Setting learning goals for their students.
- Selecting or constructing learning designs that facilitate their own learning so they may address student learning goals.
- Implementing new instructional strategies in their classrooms.
- Monitoring, assessing, and adjusting practice.
Through live virtual sessions and ongoing, asynchronous learning opportunities, our virtual Becoming a Learning Team program supports district leaders, school leaders, professional learning facilitators, and school-based teams to:
- Identify the conditions necessary to sustain cultures that support teachers’ continuous learning in community;
- Implement the five-stage learning team cycle of continuous improvement;
- Develop an action plan for implementing teacher-led learning teams in schools;
- Utilize protocols to effectively implement the learning team cycle of continuous improvement both face-to-face and virtually.
Help ensure that your teachers collaborate in ways that improve their practice and get results for their students.
What We Do
Guide continuous improvement
Promote collective responsibility
Ensure goal alignment
Fill out our web form and let us know about your system and how you want to implement or improve professional learning communities.
We’ll connect you with one of our consultants to talk about how we can support your PLCs.
We’ll work with your school leaders on site and virtually to ensure your PLCs get results for teacher and students.
Our Community of Practice Team
Patricia Roy has written articles, books, training manuals, and resource guides focused on Learning Forward’s fundamental concepts about effective professional…Read more
Neptune Beach, Florida
Jamey Burns is an educational consultant who specializes in professional learning in K-12 and early childhood systems. Most recently, Dr. Burns’…Read more
Terry Morganti-Fisher is a senior consultant for the Learning Forward. Terry leads districts and schools in becoming authentic professional learning…Read more
Webster, New York
Ann Delehant is a senior consultant for Learning Forward. She is an experienced facilitator, learning leader and agent of systemwide…Read more